All posts tagged - RecBar
We are in the fortunate position this month to have the esteemed Nicholas Baldridge of the “For Amusement Only: The E.M. & Bingo Pinball Podcast” sit in with us this month for tri-hosting duties as we run him through the (un)ceremonious wringer as we talk all things Pinball and the new publication “Coin-Op Carnival”. If you’ve not heard of this publication, then please go check it out (https://www.coinopcarnival.com/) and then come back and listen to this episode.
If you’d rather just dive right in, then here’s the abridged version: Coin-Op Carnival is a joint venture with Nick and his co-creator Ryan Claytor (of Elephant Eater Comics) and is a 4-volume series that features interviews with E.M. Pinball game designer(s), an E.M. pinball game reviews, in-depth technical articles (E.M. tech explained, etc.), industry-related comics and more. It’s great fun and it feeds the brain as well – we guarantee you’ll learn something about the early days of Pinball or Brent will give you your money back!
We also catch up on a bit of industry news, talk about a new arcade component reproduction that has literally been years in the making and lament the last call of Batman ’66 before Stern “shuts it down forever”.
All this and more in 81!
It’s no April Fools, yo! Instead, it’s our Saturday night livestream show (3/3/2018) direct from the floor of the 2018 Louisville Arcade Expo!
Join in as we discuss everything from arcade, to pinball to Star Wars to Vlassic pickles… it all fits in somewhere along the line and one way or another – it works.
We have a slew of folks who sit in with us for the show, including:
- Grace and Gareth (the family tradition continues)
- Adam Curry from The Pinball Workshop
- J Patrick from Pod Casserole
- David Corrigan from The Grand Ole’ Gameroom Expo
- Jeremy, Matt & Joe from the Louisville Arcade Expo
- Chris Cruz from Griffin Aerotech, makers of SkyCurser
- Corey Sims @ RecBar
- Jeff Waldon & his daughter Paige
- And last, but in no way least, friend of the show Shawn O’Shea
Yep, you read that right. This month’s show is best described as a fine ‘sit me back’ with your favorite smoking jacket and two of the finest tacos the Border has to offer. We roll back into the studio and recap our thoughts on the Louisville Arcade Expo, catch up on the happenings over both March *AND* April, get back into the swing of Spending Brent’s Money (shameless plug here…we racked up over a $500 bill EASY this month) and were delighted to feature a guest we’ve been wanting to have on the show for months now: Jimmy Litsey – BITD classic arcade operator of yore and man, does he have some cool stories to tell. As always we plow through a ton of great and fun feedback and some industry news as well.
Oh yeah – the best part is always at the end, so be sure to stay through the credits!
It’s taken us a bit to recover, but we’re back with a vengeance purpose now that we’ve gotten a few naps under our belt and tossed on some clean Superfriends Underoos!
This episode is a recording of the live show we streamed on Friday night, March 3rd 2017. We managed to rotate quite the number of guests in/out of the booth during the course of the livestream (list below) and what more can we say than “we had a blast, and it shows”.
- Brent’s niece & nephew – Emma and Logan, talking retro and console gaming at the Expo
- Tony Thomas and Corey Simms from Louisville’s RecBar
- Clint Hoskins and Jared Neible from Evansville’s Secret Headquarters
- Adam and JP from Pod Casserole
- Friend of the show Jim Hale (he traveled in all the way from Denver, CO!)
- And last – but certainly not least (technically, she’s first) we have the show intro by Whitney’s daughter Grace – she carried us when we were nowhere to be found…
“Book ‘em Danno” – it’s the big ‘Five-O’ show!
There’s so much crammed into this month’s episode that we had to loosen the belt a bit and put on the stretchy pants, because I think we’ve hit an all-time high score when it comes to show length, commutes and long-distance runs…. seriously.